Saturday, October 8, 2011

God works in mysterious ways... and through bumbling idiots.

I've mentioned before that I lead and direct on Christian holiday camps for teens and kids. I also mentioned how much I love it!
Not only because each year I get to act like a kid and just play and have fun! (How many other mid-twenty year olds do you know that dress up as superheroes, villains, people from the past, or begin food fights and get porridge poured all over them, or tackle kids in night games. Brilliant.)
It's one of the most beautiful places in the middle of nowhere.
It's also amazing to see how kids grow and change over the camps.It's a real privilege.
some of my favourite, funniest moments have also happened on camps. Pranks, meeting amazing people, hearing great speakers, getting into trouble, laughing hilariously at stuff no one can remember. So fun. I could write a blog purely on camp craziness.
One of my favourite parts of camps is the times kids, out of nowhere, ask about how to become a Christian.
Now, no matter how many times you go over different ways to explain this, if a kid asks you while you're trying to walk in gumboots filled with dumplings and syrup, or after four days of not a lot of sleep right when you're about to go to bed, or when you're in the process of stuffing your mouth with dinner, then, from my experience, you blank.


If I'm asked during a cabin devotion time or after a study session where a speaker gives a little talk about the Bible or God, then sure, I'm ready for it.
Put me on the spot, then all my preparation is non existant.
However, you can't not answer. So you sneak a prayer in, and then begin.





At this point, I have no idea what I've said, the camper is looking fairly blank, and I am desperately trying to remember anything that just happened.




And so, although I am ridiculously unqualified and bumbling, or even when I am qualified and I just make a mess, somehow, God does his thing.
I don't think it's a mistake either. If I could do it well and with all the right words, I don't know if I'd realise how much God was in it.
But when I have no idea what I've said, and I have a pretty good idea that it was a lot of nonsense or uncomprehendable, then I know that it was all God.
Which is a good thing because there's a lot of nonsense I speak. A lot.
It's nice to know that God interprets my bleh and turns it into goodness. :)
So, the moral of my story is, even bumbling idiots can be redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment