Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Miss McGyver & duct tape pranks

So. I'm staring at my portfolio which I absolutely need to get done. It's even a fun portfolio! It needs pretty paper and pictures, but I have no motivation.

Then I saw an episode of McGyver. On a side note, if I sound like I watch tv a lot, it's cos I'm one of those crazies that needs noise. Loud music, the radio, movies... I just need background noise. So, yes, there will be lots of tv mentions.
So... back to McGyver.
He was strapped to a rocket. Or next to a rocket. When the rocket went off, then McGyver was supposed to burn up.
Bad guy underestimated McGyver, however. Rookie mistake.
Now, picture McGyver firmly tied onto the trailor holding the rocket, with the booster pointing straight at him. (It's not a massive rocket btw... just a mini launcher one)
There's a cart of nitrogen gas bottles nearby but the brake is on.
this is how McGyver figures it out.





So. With such little effort and some good boot action, I thought, why can't I do some mcGyvering myself!
First, I thought I'd clean the house. Which I did, but then it backfired...

I couldn't find anything once it was away.... I'd cleaned so well! Too well....


So with not being able to find stuff, I began imagining what else I could do if i could get my hands on some duct tape.

I, admit, was thinking of someone specific when I drew this, and he looks happy to be duct taped, cos I think somewhere deep down he know's he's irritatingly frustrating. He knows he needs to be duct taped to a wall for a good day or so.




I figured I could make a whole house. Why aren't more people making duct tape houses? I mean, you get a hole you just patch it up? You want to extend, pull out your stanley knife and add on! So good!
Although my experiences dealing with duct tape wasn't great. I got skin pulled off from repeatative tape ripping and sticking.
It all started on a camp. I lead on christian holiday camps. i LOVE them. I get to play but also share my favourite topic - God and how good he is!
I've been going to this campsite most of my life. All my life defining moment happened on these camps. It's pretty special.
Last camp, I had an awesome group of girls and they really wanted to pull a prank. And let's be honest, if anyone could help them pull a prank, it was me.... I have a history, some probably wouldn't even know about, cos I don't always own up, of pulling pranks, and it had been awhile since my last one.
I was a little proud my girls were up for it.
There is a limit to pranks you can involve campers in on camps. Usually pranks are between leaders and subtle enough that the campers never even know about it.
Campers involved in pranks usually means things will get out of hand. There's always one that takes it too far or too personally.
This time, we decided to wait till the last night, so there was no time the next day for retaliation. We also couldn't do anything that involved personal property or disrupted sleep. (there's a legal limit we're supposed to allow for sleep or something like that - duty of care and all that)
So, being that I know that camp, I got my hands on mass amounts of newspaper and tape.
We stayed up for ages making door sized newspaper walls, really thick and reinforced with mass tape. We made enough for each guys room door.
It was insanely like a bad spy movie, and the girls felt like they were pulling off the most intense mission and were very serious and in the game.
One of my girls gave a little pep talk mission speech.
'You will not giggle! You will not make any noise! You will take of your shoes and tiptoe and not stomp everywhere!'
It was very seriously recieved.
Then we all got ready for our first hit. Two girls grabbed the newspaper wall and the rest of us grabbed a line of tape as long as we could hold our arms out. We then formed a line and did a silent sneak to the first door.

It was very funny to watch.
One by one we went to each door, two holding the paper wall, the rest of us armed with tape and did this amazing effective line of walking past, sticking the paper down and then doubling back to get more tape. It was sheer brilliance.
We came to one problem, when one cabin had left their window open. The windows were right next the door and the newspaper wall wasn't exactly silent. So we assembled a smaller team and gave strict orders, evn making a few hand signals for 'FREEZE' in case any noise from inside the cabin was heard.
We posted a 'listener' at the window, and did our little parade of tape, more intense than the other doors.
I swear, if the army ever needs a team to do a tape mission, I have the people for you, tried and tested.
Everyone had doubled back except for two of us, when the light suddenly went on. We had a protocol for potential capture. It was duck under the window, and flatten against the wall and not move. Running would only alert them to something.
So thats what me and Rach did. Flatten and freeze.


It was hilariously funny, but at the moment, adrenaline was racing, heart was pumping, we were both terrified we would get caught out too early.
But the guy inside was just going to the toilet...
and we snuck away.

WE were up till 2 papering doors and feeling like we were super spies, and the girls were SUPER excited they'd pulled a prank.
We woke up the next morning to watch.
The leaders were the first to notice. We saw a few bluges appear in the paper while they tried to find a weak point. (there weren't a lot - we'd used roughly 6 rolls of tape....) One kicked his way through. Another pulled a side away and slipped through the edge. If you want to see something funny, get a 6 foot guy to try fit through a newspaper gap.
A camper came out and then started READING the paper. The girls were at first confused and then thought it was hilarious.
We got ready, keeping an eye on the doors, and then made our way to breakfast.
Hottest topic - newspapered doors. The girls then did an academy award performance of not knowing anything about it.
I was super proud. The only thing better than pulling a prank is to deny existence of it.
A few of the boys declared it a worthy prank and the girls were satisfied.
The point of my story is you can always do good things with duct tape. Always.
Everyone should have duct tape and be able to pull of McGyver worthy stunts. Or pranks.
And that is what my policy would be if I was going up for an election.

No comments:

Post a Comment